Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Elk Hunt

I'm not a gambling woman, but here in Arizona hunting is on a lottery system. I've wanted to go deer hunting for years, but have yet to do anything about it, this year one of my resolutions was to go hunting. I got talking into going elk hunting instead of deer, and I felt confident that with beginners luck I would be selected. I put in early, and anxiously awaited the good news.

Unfortunately my dreams were dashed when I looked up my hunting number to see that I was not awarded a tag. In sadness I went about my life and sadly told my friends that I wouldn't be giving them elk jerky for Christmas (my idea was to give some of the meat to family and friends for Christmas presents). A few days later my dear friend Jen Wilson, who always seems to know what to do to cheer me up, stopped by my house for a surprise visit. I was in the midst of making pizza (hence the apron) and she made me close my eyes for a minute. When I opened them there was an elk (that kind of looks like a reindeer, but "ELK" is written on the bottom to avoid any confusion) on my wall and a toy gun that shoots 3 high caliber rounds. With a smile she exclaimed that now I could go hunting whenever I wanted. Could a girl ask for any better friends?

Jen and I posing...


...and then getting serious about our hunt.

1 comment:

Robin Lamb said...

That is really cute! What a sweet friend!