Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My First Apple Pie

I have loved cooking my whole life because I was blessed with both of my parents being excellent chef's and they took much interest in teaching their children. Somehow I made it to almost 24 without making an apple pie from scratch though. I've made many other pies, but it's been a while and it was under the tutelage of my mother. It just so happened that it was the birthday of my favorite friend from the temple on my Wednesday shift, Debbie Murset, and she loves pies. Knowing that as a mom the likelihood of her getting a birthday cake (well...pie because she likes those more) was slim to none I determined that I would make her one. Below are some pictures of my adventure.

A little boy I watch, Logan, wanted to help, so he made a pie crust out of playdough.

Ok, pie in pan: check. Apples cut in slivers (this takes forever!): check.


Lots of sugar and other yummy things: check.


Lattice work was a must, I believe it's not just about how good it tastes, but presentation is very important too. Go big or go home is my policy.


And finished product.



I put some raw sugar on the crust for presentation and taste, but I still feel the crust was too bland. Sister Murset loved it and raved about it, and so it was a success because my goal was to make her happy. Next time I will not go with Betty Crocker's pie crust, she failed me this time.

No comments: