Monday, December 3, 2012

The Beginning of the End


 My heart began to break last week.  The end always seemed so far away...and here it was, fast approaching.  And that is when for the first time in my life I have never felt so happy and so sad at the same time.  When I left Mesa I knew I would be coming back in a short time, so it wasn't so sad.  The reality that I may never come back and see the people I have come to know and love is breaking my heart.  The Martinez family has won my heart and I feel so sad to leave them.  They told me this week that "I was part of the inventory" and when I leave they will be missing a piece and will mourn my absence.  I have worked diligently the last couple of weeks to convince them to move to the U.S.  I've got the youngest convinced and we have a plan for him to come after his mission and carry on to BYU.  The older son I have mostly convinced.  And the parents I'm not so sure, it's a joke, with a desire...but I think if both their sons are in the states that is the selling point.  I have fallen in love with this family and will miss them so much.  There is so much I want to stay for and be part of, it makes me wish my flight wasn't for another week or month or two.
Now, on the other hand I know that if I were to leave any later 
then this coming Thursday I would also be so sad because I miss my family and friends like crazy!  And so I come home this Thursday, but part of my heart will remain in Colombia.  My biggest consolation is the anticipation to see my nephew, Carson.  I can't think about it or I get too excited and can't focus on anything else.  So I am trying to remain here mentally.

 This little dog deserves some attention, as I was/am SOOO close to bringing her home.  There are many reasons I am not, but I want to SO bad!  Her name is Lucifer...if you knew her you would know why.  But she is awesome, and she loves me.  She comes running every time I call (or even hears my voice).


This little one remains nameless, but he is SO cute.  And he only likes me.  He won't eat from anyone else's hand, and he shakes for everyone except me.


Gus Gus & me before he left with his new owner.  (sad day)


Hna. Martinez with the 4 puppies (we're now down to 2) and Canela (who, thanks to me, is now referred to in the house as "UN MALA MADRE!")  But my little babies are so CUTE!!!


Now, for events of the week.  Andrés Felipe got into the university that he wanted!  I went with him to register and after we went to a famous park close by.  Unfortunately I had to go to the bathroom SUPER bad and there weren't any:


Andrés Felipe was half horrified and half impressed.


For his graduation gift we went to Salitre Magico, an amusement park.  I wore my "Jog for Jamie" shirt and we ran from ride to ride as a "Jog for Jamie Day".


Unfortunately for us it started raining part way through the day and then was FREEZING!  Of course we didn't leave the lines when it rained, so we were wet and cold.  Ferris Wheel under such conditions...bad idea!


We were miserable the whole ride and wanted to get off because it was an open cage and it was windy!


I was SO excited when I saw the cotton candy.  Now I have put together almost all the events that occur at the Arizona State Fair.


On Thursday I got to go to the CCM (MTC) for a training for new missionaries.  I was the "investigator" for a couple of trainings.  It was pretty fun. I pretended to be a heavy partier and I gave the teachers some pretty funny questions.  I also had some sad moments.  Later in the day I was an investigator for new gringos.  I felt SO bad for them.  Their faces were completely terrified because they didn't know a lot of what was being said and they spoke horribly.  (Two things on this: 1-I had so much compassion for them because I have been there...it was a while ago, but still the same, 2-I understand now why Jhonatan thinks I speak so well).  It made me think of my brother-in-laws little bro who is in the MTC right now, en route for Mexico.  It was really fun seeing all of Jhonatan's co-workers, since they are the ones I see nearly every weekend at the dances.  All of them commented multiple times on how much my spanish has improved since they met me at the JAS(YSA) conference  nearly two months ago.  I am really happy with how far my spanish has come!  

Now for Andrés Felipe's graduation.  There were some really choice moments.  One of the most random parts was they would stop the reading of names periodically and a violin/ saxophone duo would play a song.  The best song was by far this one!


I looked around in anticipation to find the sexy sax man, but he wasn't there!  :(
If you don't know who that is, follow this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKSyPoxzT6w
(annoyingly it has an intro, but it's by far the best one)

Also I warned Andrés Felipe that I would cry at his graduation, exclaiming "You grew up so FAST!!!"  And I was true to my word.


Aw, so cute!


This is my favorite picture!  A spontaneous expression of fatherly love.  So sweet!


Man Colombians know how to party!  We didn't leave the party for his graduation until 2 in the morning!!!!!  It was my last dance in Colombia...I am going to miss them!

Saturday was cool because I went to the temple to do a session, but traffic was HORRIBLE and so I missed the last one.  Initiatories was closed, so I went to sealings.  There were two older brethren (one was blind and needed assistance walking) in my session that were sealed to their parents.  It was SO tender, and it made me think of the real reason for Christmas.  If there was no Easter there would be no Christmas.  And because Christ DID do what He came to do, we can all be with our families together with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ!!!  It made me so happy.

Sunday morning in sacrament meeting I was surprised to hear my name announced as the last prayer.  Both the sons looked at me with huge grins (as my prayers have notably been a source of humor for the family because I often say something wrong that is funny).  This time it all came out perfectly.  Sunday was a hard day; I was in tears most of the day.  It really was hitting me how I won't see this family for quite some time, and possibly ever if they don't move to the states.  I really love and admirer them and I have grown a lot with them.  Last Sunday was my turn to give FHE, which I did.  But they wanted me to give it again because this was my last Sunday.  It was so hard, and I tears often streamed down my face as I spoke or listened.  We has fasted together for some special purposes the day before and that day and I feel so much love for them!

After FHE we took some photos of the fam:

This is actually before, us playing casual...Presidente didn't get the memo do be casual.


And I Andrés Felipes face in this one!


Ok, this is after FHE!


Not everyone was happy with different pictures, so here is another:


And a goofy one!


 I LOVE THIS FAMILY!!!  They are so fun and they make me laugh so much.  They are so wonderful and I am so grateful I got to live with them and get to know and love them.  I will miss them greatly.  That being sad, I recognize that the people who read this blog are the ones I have been missing for the last 2 1/2 months and am SOOOOO excited to see this coming Thursday or Friday.  
Operation Colombia: extremely successful!
But like all good things, they have to make way for the next adventure life has to offer.  So here I go, from the end of one adventure, to the start of another!  I sure love everyone who has been and is part of my many adventures in this life!

No comments: